13 avril 2010

Cargo mixte Bonavista (1884)

Cargo mixte Bonavista, 1884

Cargo mixte Bonavista au canal de Lachine (Montréal). Circa 1901.
Négatif sur verre, 25 x 20 cm.
Photographie de William Henry Jackson, 1843-1942.
Detroit Publishing Company.
Library of Congress.
Restauration © Carnet-Maritime.com.

Téléchargez la version haute définition 2560 x 1952 pixels.

Le Bonavista était un cargo-mixte à vapeur (1 306 GT, longueur 73,27 m, largeur 10,21 m), construit en 1884 aux chantiers Wigham Richardson & Co à Newcastle (Angleterre), pour le compte de la Dominion Coal Company de Montréal. Nous le voyons ici dans les écluses du canal de Lachine à Montréal, vers 1900.

La Malleable Iron Company (inscription sur l’immeuble du fond) était située rue de Nazareth, dans le quartier de Griffontown.

Le Bonavista transportait de Montréal à Saint-Jean de Terre-Neuve des émigrants pour travailler dans les mines de charbon et des cargaisons diverses.

Le 13 septembre 1894, le Evening Telegram de Saint-Jean rapporte que le navire est bien arrivé avec 35 moutons, 10 têtes de bétail, 6 chevaux et 11 passagers.

Sur sa route vers Terre-Neuve, il faisait escale aux ports de Pictou (Nouvelle-Écosse), Sydney (Nouvelle-Écosse), Charlottetown (Île-du-Prince-Édouard). Il revenait chargé de charbon à son port d’attache, Montréal.

New York Times, 27 juillet 1909

New York Times, 27 juillet 1909.

Perdu le 16 mars 1912 sur Long Island (Nouvelle-Écosse) à l’entrée de la baie de Fundy.

S. S. BONAVISTA WRECKED WENT ASHORE ON LONG ISLAND SATURDAY MORNING AND IS A TOTAL LOSS:

A special telephone message to the Courier from Tiverton Saturday morning announced the wreck of the S. S. Bonavista, commanded by Capt. McArty, which went ashore that morning at 4:00.

The steamer struck at Black Cove on the Bay Fundy shore of Long Island, just west of Boar’s Head Light, Petite Passage.

The wind was blowing a gale from the south-south west at the time and it was terribly dark and thick. A tremendous sea on the rocks made the saving of the crew of 22 men a difficult problem. The officers and crew were kindly cared for by the people of Tiverton.

The vessel soon broke up and became a total loss. The captain and crew passed through Digby Monday en route for Halifax.

The Bonavista was bound from St. John to Louisburg to load coal. She was 240 feet long, 35 feet beam, 18 feet deep, registered 837 tons net and was built in Newcastle-On-Tyne, G. B. in 1884. She was owned by the Dominion Coal Company, Ltd., of Montreal, and carried no insurance. A representative from the Dominion Coal Company and one from the Halifax Wrecking Company passed through Digby Tuesday afternoon en route for Tiverton, via Church Point, to visit the wreck.

An odd coincidence is that just a year ago the same night the American 3 masted schooner Allen Greene, of Stonington, Maine, went ashore at almost the same place, the cook, Ambrose Ames, of Rockland, Maine, being drowned. The rest of the crew were saved with difficulty, after a terrible experience in the icy waters of the Bay of Fundy.

The Digby Courier.

Vous pouvez achetez un tirage de cette photographie à la Galerie du Cabestan.

| 2 commentaires

2 commentaires

Bonjour.
Bravo pour ce superbe blog.

Les lamaneurs travaillent en tenue de ville, avec casquette, feutre, et même semble t'il, chapeau melon (au fond). Était ce normal à l'époque ?

Ajoutez une information ou un commentaire

« Nouvelles de la piraterie somalienne | Côtres Gossoon (1890) et Minerva (1888) »